[Sca-cooks] Suggestions for camp food...

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Mon Jun 9 14:24:00 PDT 2003

> OK, guys, I have a bit of a problem. As a cook, I've never previously
> worried about feeding myself at camping events, but with the smithing I've
> been doing, it has gotten to be a bit of a problem- I just don't have the
> time or energy to feed myself properly while working all day on the forge,
> and with the effort and energy I put out, I need to consume at least 3000
> calories just to maintain my weight-preferably, fairly high protein (carbs
> aren't a problem- they just don't last all day, and I don't do much sugar or
> fat). I also am not going to feasts as much as I normally would because I
> need to keep an eye on my fire.
>
> I can use my forge for a couple of things, and I do, to prove it can be
> done, but I'd really like some suggestions for tasty, easy, hot foods I can
> throw together quickly. I have reasonable equipment- a 3 burner Coleman, and
> a family mess kit with perking coffee pot. My cooler is pretty good- it's an
> old, construction worksite 5 gallon drink dispensor, metal, that will hold 4
> bags of ice with some cubes left over across a weekend, so keeping fresh
> foods cold isn't difficult.
>
> Here are the jokers. This next event, my companion, who is at best an
> average cook, is allergic to egg whites, so scrambled, etc eggs are out-HB
> eggs are OK- he can remove the whites. He strongly dislikes fresh meats,
> although processed meats like bacon or ham are OK, and hamburger or sausage,
> if it's disguised, are edible for him.
>
> For my part, I avoid most processed foods- too much salt and preservatives-
> and I'll be particularly avoiding them since I suspect the meats will be
> heavily processed. Consequently, Lutheran binders are out.
>
> Normally, I marinate meat strips, add some veggies and maybe dried fruits,
> and serve the whole mess over rice, or make up some beans and rice with cold
> or hot fresh veggies on the side, but the last couple of events, I've just
> been too busy, and this one the meat strips are out.
>
> Thoughts, all?
>
> Phlip

Is there a problem with making things in advance, like stuffed bread, and
then heating it up? Will your companion eat something like bean or
split-pea soup (which, after all, is best made with a ham hock or bacon)?
That can be made in advance, refrigerated, and then heated up extremely
easily by even a so-so cook. Calzones? Chili? Bratwurst? Bigos, made
ahead?

Margaret