[Sca-cooks] Suggestions for camp food...

Lorenz Wieland lorenz_wieland at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 9 15:11:08 PDT 2003

Phlip wrote:
> Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

>> Zwiebelkuchen, or other bacon, onion, and cheese-type tart.
>
> Recipe, please?

I realized after I sent this that I had forgotten the "no eggs" restriction,
so this is probably not much help.  Nevertheless:

Zwiebelkuchen, American-style:

Tart crust du jour (frozen pre-made ones even work decent here)
3 slices thick, center-cut bacon, or 4oz lardons
1 large onion, sliced thin
Sugar, pinch
1 c cream
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1/2 c smoked Emmentaler or Gruyere cheese (regular, non-smoked also works),
coarsely grated
Nutmeg, pinch
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400.  Saute bacon in skillet until crisp.  Remove and drain.
Add onion and sugar to drippings in pan and caramelize to deep brown.  Mix
cream, egg, egg yolk, and spices in a bowl.  Spread onion and bacon in
bottom of tart crust, pour cream mixture over, and add cheese on top.  Bake
until puffed and set, about 25 minutes.

Some other recipes that might also work:

Emeril recently did a pork 'n beans that looked fantastic (although I'll
have to wait until my cardiologist isn't looking to try it):
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_22831,00.html

Red Beans and Rice

2 tbl olive oil
1 lb andouille sausage, sliced crosswise into thick rounds
1 onion, diced
4 garlic gloves, chopped
3 lbs kidney beans (canned or dried and soaked)
1 c chicken stock (or broth)
2 bay leaves
.5 tsp cayenne
3 c cooked rice

Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat.  Add sausage, onion and garlic and
sauté until onion is brown, about 15 minutes. Mix in kidney beans with their
juices, broth and spices. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer until
flavors are blended and mixture is very thick, stirring occasionally, about
45 minutes.  Ladle over rice and serve.

Mexican Black Beans

1 tablespoon olive oil
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 large jalapeño chili, seeded, chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed, drained
1 14 1/2-ounce can low-salt chicken broth
Fresh lime juice
Chopped fresh cilantro
Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic, chili
and cumin and sauté 30 seconds. Add beans and broth and cook 5 minutes,
stirring occasionally. Coarsely mash beans with potato masher. Continue
boiling until thick, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes. Season to taste
with lime juice, salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl. Sprinkle with cilantro
and serve.