[Sca-cooks] Suggestions for camp food...

Anne duBosc anne_du_bosc at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 9 19:44:22 PDT 2003

Sounds like boil-in-bags are gonna be your friend.

How about making a gumbo-type dish ahead of time and freezing in boil-in-bags or zip-loc baggies.  Boil and freeze rice seperately.  Then, when time to eat, just heat and serve.

This time of year, fresh corn on the cob and tomatoes are also good.  So are fresh peas, shelled, and cooked with a bit of ham and frozen then heat and serve.

Make corn bread "flapjacks".  They freeze really well, and can be quickly heated on the forge.

When we heated with a wood stove, I was always partial to polska kielbasa wrapped in foil and heated in the coals.  Probably work as well or better with the forge.

You could also make ahead veggie packets to cook on the forge: slice a potato, small onion, some chopped celery, bell peppers, etc..., salt and pepper.  Wrap in foil to throw on the forge.

Cheese toast is a good, quick and easy meal, too.

Mordonna