[Sca-cooks] Sekajabin

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 10 09:32:13 PDT 2003

a5foil wrote:

> > What other combinations do other people use?
>
> Our favorite is half peppermint and half spearmint -- I use dried leaves as
> I don't have access to enough fresh mint. And we mix it very light, 1 part
> syrup to 15 or 16 parts water. Which I learned from someone up in Bright
> Hills, thank you!

My mother grows peppermint and spearmint so I use the same combo
you do, only fresh and LOTS of it.  Mixing it light as well;  most
people who don't like sekanjabin had it too strong.

Please remember that the quality of the vinegar counts.  Use
generic wine vinegar and get generic results.  White vinegar is a
cleaning chemical, not a foodstuff as far as I'm concerned.
My latest batch was with apple cider vinegar from an apple
merchant at the local Farmers' Market and it was wonderful!
This stuff would make a nice drinking vinegar without
the sugar or mint, that's how nice it is.

It's also useful for etching steel, as demonstrated at
Caid Sciences Day last August... true story.
Just shows to go you that you don't need
fatally strong acids for etching, really.

Selene Colfox