[Sca-cooks] To the Kings Taste Question

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 11 13:16:37 PDT 2003

I have to agree with Bear and Johnnae.  King and
Queen's Taste are reasonable, mass market aimed
cookbooks.  They have flaws.  There isn't a
period cookbook published yet that doesn't have
flaws.
But they are infinitely better that Fabulous
Feasts.

The other week you bad-mouthed Dining with
William Shakespeare, by Madge Lorwin, as also
being bad.  It is even better than King and
Queen's Taste, and is one of my favorite books to
use when I don't want to do my own redactions.
Madge Lorwin, in my opinion, does a better job of
sticking closely to the original source than most
others.

But to use these books to teach how to redact is
wrong.  This is not their purpose.  When I teach
redaction, I only use original sources.  I ask my
students and apprentices to use their own
experience, intuition and scholarship to
interpret the recipes.  I don't hold up other
peoples work for ridicule and I don't bad-mouth
others in order to give the appearance of being
more scholarly.

Huette

--- a5foil <a5foil at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> Actually, this is one of the books I keep
> around as a bad example. Back when
> it was published, there were very few resources
> for medieval cookery -- To
> the Queen's Taste and Pleyn Delit came out the
> following year -- and it does
> have the original recipes neatly transcribed so
> you can do your own
> redactions. But it's not so much  "adapted for
> modern tastes" as "vaguely
> based on the medieval ingredients." My favorite
> example is her version of
> Douce Ame. The original calls for capons half
> yrosted. Her redaction calls
> for chicken pieces floured and fried ...
>
> Cynara

=====
shall never cease to be amused.