[Sca-cooks] Translation of Portuguese Cookbook Online

Robert Downie rdownie at mb.sympatico.ca
Thu Jun 19 16:20:26 PDT 2003

Thank you, Anahita, Brighid and Nancy (and anyone else I might have missed - the
inbox keeps getting bigger, sometimes it takes me a while to find messages!) for
your help.  I'm still not sure about cheiro-verde, since the modern term for
oregano is oregos (spelling?) - but now that you mention it, I wonder if there
is some relation between the two.  What I really need to find is a Medieval
Portuguese to Modern Portuguese Dictionary for those more obscure terms.

I'm just pleased as punch to be able to be able to contribute something back to
this list, you people have all really inspired me in my growing interest in
Medieval cuisine and all it's related aspects.I've learned quite a lot here (and
been pointed in the right direction for about a zillion primary sources).
Consider these translations as a work in progress that I will continue to
refine...

Faerisa