[Sca-cooks] Seven Centuries was Magical feast:::was::: Ahhh...

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Jun 26 19:57:37 PDT 2003

Ok here's the brief version--- It's an old book; it actually
came out 30 years ago which is way before people began demanding
more and better adaptations in historical cookbooks.
This is the work that has the medieval tri color soup that
suggests using cream of potato soup. That doesn't mean I don't
own it. It does mean I would use it rather cautiously.

my blurb which appeared in Serve It Forth

Seven Centuries of English Cooking has a confusing publishing
 history with editions of the same book appearing under differing
 titles by various publishers in both the U.K. and U.S. and with
 different editors or authors credited.

The title: Seven Centuries of English Cooking by Maxime McKendry
 [de La Falaise] and edited by Arabella Boxer was released in 1973
by 3 different publishers.

It was also released as Seven Hundred Years of English Cooking in
 the U.K. in 1973 and in 1983 in the U.S.

It was also released as The Seven Centuries Cookbook: from
Richard II to Elizabeth II by Maxime McKendry, New York: McGraw-Hill,
1973.

Grove Press has released it in paperback as Seven Centuries of English
 Cooking: A Collection of Recipes by Maxime de la Falaise, 1992;
this trade paperback edition remains the current and most accessible
edition

Johnnae llyn Lewis

Heleen Greenwald wrote:
How's the book: _Seven Hundred Years of British Cooking_ (at least I
think