[Sca-cooks] Ahhh...

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Fri Jun 27 06:28:30 PDT 2003

In a message dated 6/26/2003 9:57:10 AM Eastern Standard Time,
sjk3 at cornell.edu writes:

> I'd be interested to hear the differences between the versions.  Is
> the "dumbing-down" just a matter of vocabulary (a pain, and a waste of
> the publisher's time as far as I'm concerned, but bearable if your budget
> won't support two editions), or is there more?

I certainly can't see much dumbing down in the audiobooks version I have.  In
the first  8 chapters you run into words like "redolent" and "frisson", not
to mention a number of Britishisms like calling sneakers "trainers" and saying
that Harry is trying to flatten his "fringe" instead of his bangs.  In fact, I
remember thinking that there are going to be some people who are going to be
learning to use a dictionary as the result of this one, and probably a British
to English slang converter as well.

Brangwayna