[Sca-cooks] Magical feast:::was::: Ahhh...

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Fri Jun 27 06:28:37 PDT 2003

In a message dated 6/26/2003 5:11:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
heleen at ptdprolog.net writes:

> How's the book: _Seven Hundred Years of British Cooking_ (at least I think
> that's the title)... anyway.... is it reliable?

No, not really.  Immense substitutuions and additions of ingredients - but at
least she usually gives you the original, so you can tell.
My hard-cover copy has the recipe for hedgehogs on the back.  The original
is, as I recall, ground pork, ginger, sugar, and currents stuffed in a stomach
of some sort, then stuck with splintered almonds for spines.
By the time she's done with it, she's added eggs and breadcrumbs to bind it
together into meatballs, as well as additional spices.  I think I counted once,
and there are at least twice, maybe three times, as many ingredients in her
redaction as there are in the original recipe.

Brangwayna