[Sca-cooks] Summer is Here

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Sat Jun 28 05:15:11 PDT 2003

On Saturday, June 28, 2003, at 07:55  AM, Sue Clemenger wrote:

> Dunno.
> Did we ever determine the shelf life of cuskynoles, either?

Hmmm. If you really want to know... I assume they could be boiled and
refrigerated for at least a couple of days, probably frozen, too, then
thawed and grilled for service. The last time we made them there was
some problem (I forget exactly what) which made it necessary to drop
them, from a raw state, into deep-frying oil, making them more like
rysschews closed. Those would probably last several hours at room temp
(or per local sanitation/health department regs, whichever comes
first), unless certain New Jersey dukes come upon them first.

> OFC: I'm working on an article for our next (local) newsletter issue.
> I'll be talking about period foods that are good for hot summer days
> and
> picnics/barbeques.  Sort of a way of introducing some folks to (mostly)
> familiar, definitely tasty things.  So far, I'm thinking of some of the
> simple meats from the Andalusian cookbook, and that pork-with-red-wine
> dish (acck....Lainie, what is that one?

Ahemharumph [puts on girlie voice, pretends to be 'Lainie] "Cormarye"?

>  I'm drawing a complete
> blank....must be too early in the morning).  And some of the compound
> sallets.
> Anybody got any other ideas?
> --maire, *always* willing to talk food! ;-D

How about some of the Markham or Digby meat pies, the ones that are
essentially pates en croute, with butter poured into them and chilled
to set? Those keep quite a while and are good cold. I believe Platina
has several good salads that are more wintry, but perfectly good cold,
like the roasted onion or carrot salad. (In addition to the more
obvious green stuff.)

Ada... uh... Mario Nebbits