[Sca-cooks]2 - medieval herb garden

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sun Jun 29 20:02:04 PDT 2003

Maire wrote:

>I thought of rosemary, which I adore, but it doesn't always do well in
>our winters.  I've tried to grow it several times, and the plants never
>seem to be able to survive the cold temps (we don't get the snow that
>some states do, but it is quite capable of getting bitterly, bitterly
>cold).  Lord, but it would sure smell good, though, wouldn't it?
>--maire

When we lived in Chicago, we had a small rosemary bush in a pot which
we set into the ground in the spring and brought indoors for the
winter. It survived the winters, but was always rather straggly by
the end of them--it definitely preferred being outdoors. Here (San
Jose, CA) I put in a little rosemary plant some years back and it is
a huge bush which has taken over the herb garden. The "winter" here
is the rainy season; it sometimes gets down to freezing at night, but
practically never below freezing.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook