[Sca-cooks] medieval herb garden

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Jun 29 20:10:42 PDT 2003

Phillipa asked:
> Also....does anyone on this list have a medieval themed garden or herb
> garden at their home?  I don't as yet, but I am reading a book called
> _The Medieval Garden_ and am in the process of planning one......
>
> I am so enjoying cutting fresh herbs for cooking.
After listening to the comments on this list I attempted to start an
herb garden last year. Actually a series of potted plants so I could
figure out best where to place them before I planted them. Or bring
them inside if I decided I needed to do that for the winter.
Unfortunately, I don't has as much time to spend regularly maintaining
such a garden as I'd like. I had installed a timer and a drip
irrigation system for the string of pots. Things were going real well
for awhile. ...Then the battery ran out on the timer and as I wasn't
checking the pots regularly and the Austin summers can be rather hot,
they were pretty gone before I realized it. :-( Maybe next spring I'll
try this again, after we've gotten a new house and moved in.

There are a few files in the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section of the
Florilegium that some folks with herb gardens or thinking of making one
might want to read:
A-Mazng-Herbs-art  (5K)  8/31/01    "A-Mazing-Herbs" by Countess Tessa
                                        of the Gardens, OP.
Basic-Herbs-art    (6K) 11/ 2/02    "Basic List of Herbs"
                                        by HL Suzanna the herbalist.
Herbs-Sm-Grdn-art (32K) 10/10/01    "Medieval Herbs for the Very Small
Garden"
                                        by Jadwiga Zajaczkowa.
(Phillipa, I think you said you were limited in room in a followup
message to this message, so perhaps this might be of particular
interest to you.)
Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas