[Sca-cooks]2 - medieval herb garden

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sun Jun 29 22:09:33 PDT 2003

Advantages of raised beds...hmmm....<g>
Well, they're period, for one.
And for another, I wouldn't be having to deal with the monumental
quantity of rocks (large small and gargantuan) lurking just under our
top soil.  I live in what used to be a glacial lake bed--centuries worth
of rocks. Many of the local hills still bear the water marks where the
shorelines were all those millennia ago....
I'd probably only have the beds raised a couple of feet, tops, most
likely a foot or so (about the height of a railroad tie, but not those
in actuality because of the creosote).  It would depend a lot on the
kind of yard I had--slope, shape, walls, fences, that sort of thing.
And whether the previous owners/tenants had had a garden, as well.
--maire