[Sca-cooks] Dayboard anxieties

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 26 23:44:55 PST 2003

So here I am, two days away from my first major dayboard, and I'm starting
to get nervous.  Do I have enough food?  Do I have enough of the right kinds
of food?  Am I going to have to change my name and move to another
kingdom?

I have been told to prepare for 400, but Mudthaw is a popular event, and it's
not impossible that the gate will go up to 500.  Here's what I have planned:

25 lbs pork sausage
23 pounds beef meatballs
200 hard-boiled eggs
80 lbs roasted chicken thighs (served cold)
24 lbs savory toasted cheese
15 lbs cheddar
15 lbs monterey jack
2 cases small apples
2 cases small oranges
10 lbs baby-cut carrots
8 bunches celery
1/2 gal. each black and green olives
4 gal. dill pickles
1 gal. pickled cabbage (time permitting)
approx. 90-100 lbs bread
butter and honey for bread (separate)
6 lbs quince paste
3/4 gallon cider sauce
garlic sauce w/ walnuts
dried dates (5 lbs?)
20 doz. anise bizcochos
20 doz. almond jumbals
beverages: cold water, lemonade (from mix), pomegranate drink

I'm also planning some kind of bean dish for the vegans.  Maybe the
Andalusian lentil dish from the Miscellany, or something with chickpeas.  I'd
prefer to have something that doesn't have to be served hot.

I still have money left in my budget, so I can add more items or increase
quantities if necessary.  Observations?  Advice?  Comforting last words?
This is my barony's biggest annual event, and the royalty will be there, and I
really don't want to screw this up.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net