[Sca-cooks] Re: [spca-wascaerfrig] The commentary- very long

Avraham haRofeh of Sudentur goldbergr1 at cox.net
Mon Mar 3 05:39:48 PST 2003

> I chose instead to roast pork
> loins, the reasoning being that roast pig was roast pig, whether whole or
> parts, and because Avraham had seen the kitchen- I hadn't, and I wasn't
sure
> if the pigs would fit in the available ovens.

And since I'd never seen a whole pig in the sizes we were discussing, I
wasn't sure it would fit, either.

> Unfortunately, as many of you know,
> geese are very fatty, and I was in the process of getting more towels to
> clean my knife hand up so I could get a grip on the handle to continue
> cutting, when the damn thing squirted out of my hand, across the cutiing
> board, and impaled Avraham's finger. We sent him off to the ER- 4
stitches.

I must say, the worst kitchen accident *I've* ever had. First time I've ever
had stitches, too.

> Also, I had found whole salmon for $1.99 /lb, and as part of our pre-prep,
> we filleted and skinned them, after Avraham got back. He was really on a
> roll this weekend- ever time I turned around, he had whittled away another
> little piece of himself- thank heavens he isn't a surgeon ;-)

Yeah, yeah. For the record, after Phlip stabbed me... Saturday morning, I
nicked myself on the thumbnail chopping apples for breakfast, and later in
the morning gave myself a "paper cut" on the edge of the foil seal on the
jar of garlic (and was sufficiently in shock to say I had cut myself on the
"gar of jarlic").

> Cameline sauce
>
> Avraham did this one- I'll let him discuss it. Very good ;-)

Basically, we wanted about 2 quarts of each sauce. Volumewise, cameline is
half vinegar and half water; we couldn't find the cider vinegar Phlip had
purchased, so I used the balsamic - 3 cups each of water and vinegar. I
added a good dollop of cinnamon, a slightly smaller dollop of powdered
ginger, some cloves, mace and pepper, then added breadcrumbs until it was
thick. Very easy, and quite tasty.

> I quartered
> and cored my pears, par-boiled them to just tender, and threw them into
the
> food processor, with a 1 1/2 oz bottle of dry mustard. Basicly, for the
> flavor I found good, it required 8 pears to 1 1/2 oz of mustard- we did
them
> Friday and let them mellow out until feast.

6 pears, not 8. And there was a good 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of
Liebfraumilch in each batch.

> And, Avraham. Guys, that man worked his skinny ass off, shedding assorted
> bits of himself as he went ;-) Atlantia, you're getting a great guy-
> hard-working and very, very knowledgeable. You, most dear my friend, know
> love you, and this weekend, you gave me a few more reasons why ;-)

<looking behind> Skinny? <grin>

You made me cry. Stop that.

Avraham