[Sca-cooks] Re: [spca-wascaerfrig] The commentary- very long

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Mar 3 06:15:44 PST 2003

Also sprach Avraham haRofeh of Sudentur:
>  > Unfortunately, as many of you know,
>>  geese are very fatty, and I was in the process of getting more towels to
>>  clean my knife hand up so I could get a grip on the handle to continue
>>  cutting, when the damn thing squirted out of my hand, across the cutiing
>>  board, and impaled Avraham's finger. We sent him off to the ER- 4
>stitches.
>
>I must say, the worst kitchen accident *I've* ever had. First time I've ever
>had stitches, too.
>
>>  Also, I had found whole salmon for $1.99 /lb, and as part of our pre-prep,
>>  we filleted and skinned them, after Avraham got back. He was really on a
>>  roll this weekend- ever time I turned around, he had whittled away another
>>  little piece of himself- thank heavens he isn't a surgeon ;-)
>
>Yeah, yeah. For the record, after Phlip stabbed me... Saturday morning, I
>nicked myself on the thumbnail chopping apples for breakfast, and later in
>the morning gave myself a "paper cut" on the edge of the foil seal on the
>jar of garlic (and was sufficiently in shock to say I had cut myself on the
>"gar of jarlic").

One has to wonder about the dynamics involved here.

Put Phlip in a kitchen with Ras, and she's in the emergency room.

Put me with Avraham, and I get the first real (albeit quite minor; it
just didn't wanna stop bleeding) cut of my time in the SCA. (Avraham
had nothing to do with it, but he was there...)

Phlip and Avraham, you've gotta figure it's only a matter of time,
and money to be made making book on which one will get it. ;-)

I am so glad neither of you filleted the salmon! Had I been able to
make it, I probably would have tried to arrange to do that job, and
I'd have ended up looking like a Kurosawa seppuku scene. Of course,
we could speculate on Master Drake, had _he_ been there ;-).

I'm reminded of a conversation overheard at a once-famous,
now-defunct Manhattan restaurant, Maxwell's Plum (I understand it's a
major setting in a novel called "The Happy Hooker"; while Maxwell's
bar was known as a pickup joint, and James Beard made their
cheeseburger famous, it wasn't really sleazy or anything; quite the
contrary -- at the time I was repairing lighting equipment inside
their stained-glass ceiling):

Prep Cook: *&$%*@&#@ mother-frocking son of a wrench!!! I just cut
the end of my finger off!!!

Chef: What're you working on?

Prep Cook: Salad greens...

Chef: Well, make sure you _find the tip_ and wash the greens!

Geez, look at the time...

Adamantius