[Sca-cooks] Re: [EKCooksGuild] The commentary- very long

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Mar 3 06:49:35 PST 2003

> first fresh herbs of spring. With Jadwiga's help, I determined what the
> early herbs available would be, and at Adamantius' suggestion used a
> commercial salad mix, mesclun, which closely approximated her findings.
> Although I feel Germans in period would have used an animal fat, such as
> lard or butter, I used olive oil to make it edible for our vegetarians, and
> dressed the greens lightly with balsamic vinegar, after they were wilted.

Hm... Gwen cat's translation of Rumpolt specifies mostly oil for the
salads, even the poached ones:
http://clem.mscd.edu/~grasse/GK_salad1.htm

So you probably weren't too far off.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Lend our voices only to sounds of freedom/ No longer lend our strength to
that which we wish to be free from/Fill lives with love and bravery/
And we shall lead a life uncommon." -- Jewel, _Life Uncommon_