[Sca-cooks] Re: Tile project for Pennsic

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Mar 6 20:39:00 PST 2003

Helewyse replied to me with:
<snip>

Thank you for the feedback!

> Each tile would have to be a certain size. Say 12
> inches by 12 inches or 8 x 8 or whatever, so that they
> would fit together in a grid pattern on the
> floor of the Pennsic barn. And say between 1/2 and one
> inch high, so that none get buried beneath the size of
> any towers. This is a 'tile' mosaic. Not a map of a
> downtown city.
>>I'd recommend 8 x 8 with 1" high (for ceramic it is
> easier to make a 1" deep tile than a 1/2" deep tile,
> they don't warp.

Oh! Okay. I thought the complaint might be use of too much material.
I guess thinner material, such as leather, can always be backed with a wood piece.

I also forgot to mention that there are these three files in the CRAFTS
section of the Florilegium for those that might be interested:
tiles-art         (18K)  5/ 9/97    "To Make Tiles, Bricks or Other Building
                                Materials of Clay" by Tryffin ap Myrddin.
tiles-bib          (8K)  5/28/02     A bibliography on period tile making by
                                        Master Magnus Malleus.
tiles-msg         (11K)  8/21/02    Period tiles and uses. Sources. Making tiles

> Would the Laurels turn everyone away saying that they
> didn't make leather tiles or marzipan tiles in period?
> Most of the Laurels I have met must be really cool,
> because I can't imagine a single one of them doing
> something like that.  The period police might but they
> are just the noticed minority.

Okay, we'll see what anyone has to say, laurels and non-laurels, as I perhaps
float this idea to a bit broader audience. But if it is a stupid idea or no
one is going to be interested I'd rather only make a fool of myself among my
friends before I do it in front of the Known World.

> Is this just a flakey idea of Stefan's?
> Doesn't sound flakey to me.
> Would *you* be interested in participating or making a
> tile? Is the barn big enough?
>>If the barn is big enough to host the known world A&S
> display it should be big enough for the tiles.

Yes. Again, this is why I'm trying to get some feedback first. I didn't sit
down to do some simple arithmatic. Even at a foot on each side, a grid of 30
ft by 30 ft would hold 900 different tiles. And while this would be wonderful,
  I wouldn't get my hopes up for that much interest. So, multiple entries
allowed per person so long as they are in different media would work. The
reason I don't want to allow multiple entries from one person in the same
media is that I'd like to see folks try media which they haven't tried yet, as
well as encourage new folks to try something.

Maybe I could get some folks to make a few tiles in different media first, get
pictures and post them as examples and encouragement for folks interested but
having no idea where to start.

>>I'm sure you will be able to find helpers. Heck as
> long as it doesn't clash with some other commitment
> I'll help myself.
Thank you. Yes, I well understand the problem of there only being so much time available at Pennsic.
One thing about this, is that the entries can be made ahead of time if desired. Or they could be done at Pennsic.

It might even be possible for other folks to teach a few different classes on
different arts using this as a common theme. A leather worker teaching a
hands-on leather carving class. Hmmm. A breadmaking class, combining bread
stamps and an oven at Pennsic?

Stefan
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com