[Sca-cooks] tile project for Pennsic

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Mar 8 22:55:44 PST 2003

Lady Wilhelmina Catharin de Rochelle replied to me with:
Stefan wrote: (snipped)
 >>Thank you for the encouragement.

But would you be interested in entering, even if you couldn't make it to
Pennsic personally?
I guess I might be able to allow tiles to be mailed to Pennsic, since that is
possible and I could pick them up. But mailing back to the individuals might
be a problem.<<

 >>>I would indeed! I think you could have them mailed, although you'd need a
central organizing/contact point for that I would guess.<<<
No, not really. If the packages are addressed to me I can pick them up at the
trailer with my ID. I don't know what it would take to register? an event name
with the mail handling folks at Pennsic/Cooper's Lake.

I'm not sure if there is a wide-ranging group that would want to run this. The
Laurels of the Known World? Not a group, per se. And their experience and
efforts might be better used in things like the standard artisan competitions
where in-depth knowledge of various arts might be used. Of course, if I do
this, I would welcome any Laurels who would like to lend a hand. I want this
to be a broad range of art and artforms, so I think having a particular guild
run it, would be self-defeating.

The Florilegium does cover a wide range of media and skills such as I would
like to see this display show off. But if I used the Florilegium as the
organising seed for this, would folks be willing to work with me or would this
be seen as an egotistical, grandstanding thing. That's not my intention.
However, I am willing to lend some of the respect that the Florilegium may
have gained to help what might be a fun little project along. I can post
notices about this display along with my monthly Florilegium article and place
stuff about it on the Florilegium site such as any photos of examples, list of
ideas, pointerst to possibly useful Florilegium files.

 >>>For my part I would
rather see it donated as a prize, or to use as largesse, volunteer bonus,
whatever: rather than mailed back (Heck, I don't get that attached to things,
always giving away my work!) and as I'm thinking fragiles/edibles here I doubt
it would handle much mailing to and fro! <<<
Ok. Being the cheap SOB I am, I hate the thought of the tiles being lovingly
worked upon, mailed to Pennsic, displayed and then dumped. Nor would I like
them being thought of as booby prizes. "Here you did all that volunteer work
at Pennsic. Now you get this 'thing' to take home and deal with". Hopefully
all the tiles would be works of art and this wouldn't arise. Or perhaps, since
the display should probably be early in the War week on Monday, Tuesday or
Wednesday, the unclaimed/mailed tiles could be donated to one of the auctions.
Then since beauty is in the eye of the beholder, folks could choose the piece
they would like and bid accordingly.

 >>>Although now you got me going I'm
wondering about something in stained glass mosaic, gotta dig out that stuff
now!<<<
Good. See my idea is already working.  [:-)]

 >>>Keep us posted on the progress of this idea!<<<

I will.

Stefan
PS: I had to work until 2am last night and worked for most of today, so my
packing for Gulf Wars is a bit behind. We are planning to leave for Gulf Wars
Sunday evening. So I may or may not have a chance to get online again. If not,
  I'll see everyone in another week.
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com