[Sca-cooks] Quail eggs ( was: no subject)

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Mar 11 09:26:46 PST 2003

Also sprach Robin Carroll-Mann:
>On 11 Mar 2003, at 7:19, Felomene Morris wrote:
>[a message of no import]
>
>Looks like a troll to me.  In any case, I suggest that one of the
>list managers
>remove her ASAP.
>
>On to more interesting and pleasant topics...
>
>I saw some quail eggs in the meat case at a local Chinese grocery store.
>Are these likely to be raw, or cooked/preserved in some way?  Do quail eggs
>taste different than chicken eggs?  Do they peel easily when hard-boiled?

They behave and taste pretty much like regular hen's eggs, only
smaller. The quail eggs in Chinese groceries are likely to be raw,
unless you buy them in cans (the same store probably sells them,
although for a vigil presentation I wouldn't use them). I find that
tapping the hollow end and removing that end of the shell after
cooking allows you to slip a demitasse or baby spoon between the
shell and the white of the egg, especially if done under running
water.

They make great little Scotch eggs...

Adamantius