[Sca-cooks] Cast iron rust

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Tue Mar 11 19:59:02 PST 2003

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> > > My husband has been sweet and washed my cast iron set for me. Now
> because
> > he
> > > did not promptly dry then they now have rust spots. What should I do??

Well, I've seen quite a number of suggestions for removing rust from cast
iron, and some of them even work, but can be pretty labor intensive ;-) As a
smith, involved with other smiths, we see that problem fairly frequently.
This is the Lazy Person's Way to do it- keeping in mind, that smiths, as a
class, are VERY lazy- after all, what other trade worked so hard at
inventing tools and laborsaving devices, that we've almost lazed our way out
of a trade?

;-)

Posted on TheForge 3/6/03

1) Borrow or buy a car battery charger. I use a 4 amp charger without
variable charging rate.

2) Locate a large container able to hold 1-2 gallons of tap water. I use a
large ceramic salad bowl. (Container cannot conduct electricity). If the
piece you are attempting to clean is very large, build frame out of 2x6 and
lay polyethylene in the bottom, over this frame.

3) Fill to near rim with tap water. Add a handful of Sodium Carbonate (Arm &
Hammer washing powder.)

4) Attach the negative lead of charger to item to be cleaned.

5) Attach the positive lead to the sacrificial piece of steel (anode).

6) Plug charger in, or turn on, whichever applies. Caution: if you have a
cut on your hand and stick your hand into water you will get a tingle shock,
but it is not threatening.

7) Leave piece to clean. Check every 4-6 hours to achieve the degree of
deoxidization you desire. You can pull piece out before it is completely
cleaned to achieve a distressed look. From the point of attachment of
negative lead to the piece, it will bubble a steady stream of bubbles .
Water will turn an iron oxide color and foam will form on surface of water.
8) Make sure the anode and the piece to be cleaned are not touching.
(WARNING: if you reverse the polarity you will wind up with a nice clean
anode and a really rusty work piece.)

When removing piece from water check to see if nodules (if they exist) will
break off. If they do not, keep zapping. The piece may reveal pits that have
been caused by rust over time. That is natural. This process DOES NOT TAKE
OFF ANY NON-OXIDIZED METAL. It only removes rust.

I have been using this method for cleaning for years. Specifically, I use it
to deoxidize Roman era and Medieval arrow points and crossbow bolts. Items
retain the gray-black look of old wrought iron (or steel) and do not take on
a polished finish.

Reynolds Cushman

Hope this helps ;-)

Phlip