[Sca-cooks] Re: Wynn's Mother's halibut recipe

Sharron Albert morgana at gci.net
Sun Mar 16 17:01:16 PST 2003

>>it's not

>> > Was that the sinful stuff smothered in sour cream and parmesan? If so,
>>it's
>> > technically Wynn's Mother's recipe (G) -- the one that hardens your
>> > arteries just thinking about it?
>>
>>     My arteries need hardening (but I can tell myself it's fish, so they
>> won't get *too* hard), and I don't seem to have saved this recipe.  Could
>> you post it again, or send it to me off-list?
>>
>> Sandra

To finally reply: the original recipe was take as many halibut steaks (or
fillets of approximately the same thickness) as you wish to serve to
however many people, place in baking pan(s) snugly against each other. Dot
with butter. Slather with sour cream (as thick as you wish, but cover
halibut). Sprinkle liberally with freshly-granted parmesan cheese (against,
thickness dependent upon your preference, Berengaria and I like lots). Bake
in oven until halibut is done. IIRC its 375-400 degrees depending upon the
thickness of the halibut. If you wish, you can briefly broil it to brown
the topping. Great with steamed broccoli.

My variation is sprinkling the halibut with fresh lemon juice shortly
before adding the rest, but not letting it sit long enough to start
"cooking" the halibut. I like lemon with my halibut.

We got the original recipe because we'd had some halibut donated for a
feast (a good 20 years ago when period cook books were virtually unknown up
here), and none of us college-student types had a good recipe, so a fellow
student contacted his mother. Not period, but I've even had nonfans of
halibut like this one.

Morgana in Winter's Gate