[Sca-cooks] Galen on Food and Diet?

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Mar 17 19:11:59 PST 2003

Jadwiga and I have continued offline to talk
about Galen and this translation.

What I found out tonight is that there is another translation out--

On the properties of foodstuffs =
De alimentorum facultatibus by  O W Powell;  John Wilkins wrote the
introduction. Just out in 2003.
Cambridge, U.K. ; New York : Cambridge University Press, ISBN:
0521812429 (hb)

This book presents a translation of and detailed commentary on Galen's
 De alimentorum facultatibus - his major work on the dynamics and
kinetics of various foods.  Dr Powell is an expert in gastroenterology.
Includes
Foreword John Wilkins
Introduction
Galen's terminology
Translation
Commentary
Appendices.

It might well be worth comparing the two texts.

Also I would note that Grant includes a glossary of plant names
to go along with the text in his book, so that anyone having doubts
about his choices can track the English, Greek and botanical
designations.
The watermelon is also covered in a footnote that says that one should
see Sallares' work on the ecology of the ancient world.

One of these days when I have more time, I shall do some more digging on
this topic.

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net wrote: snipped