[Sca-cooks] Lemongrass and Ginger?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Mar 20 17:04:10 PST 2003

Ekaterina asked:
> Having just aquired a goodly amount of ginger and lemongrass (I am madly in
> love with my local Vietnamese market), I'm now wondering:  Are there any
> good period recipes for either of these engredients that I could manage at
> home with my somewhat limited cooking skills?
>
> I'm more interested in lemongrass specific than ginger, but either is good.

I don't believe lemongrass made it to Europe prior to 1600 CE. There is this
file in the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section of the Florilegium that has
referances to several period recipes using ginger and an experience in trying
to candy it. There is also some good info on how best to store ginger. I know
ginger appears in more period recipes than that, but it is probably not the
main ingredient. You might try the search engine available on the top page of
the Florilegium and see what that turns up.

ginger-msg         (8K)  8/ 4/00    Period use of the spice ginger.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/ginger-msg.html

Stefan
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com