[Sca-cooks] Ginger?

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri Mar 21 10:55:04 PST 2003

> Is there any evidence as to whether ginger was the fresh root or the dried
> and transported for months variety?

Well.. Most of the references I've seen indicate dried and transported for
months (though not ground until needed).

However, the references to green ginger in later period (the first one I
know about is in the _Elixirs_ of Nostradamus) are suspicious. Now, the
green ginger is a way to prepare ginger, but are they starting with fresh,
green ginger? The book _Charleston Kedding: a history of kitchen
gardening_ mentions someone from period having a pot to grow green ginger
in... so I suspect sprouting those poor little dried rhizomes to get green
ginger was done.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"The tumult and the shouting dies/The captains and the kings depart
Still stands Thine ancient sacrifice/An humble and a contrite heart."
	-- Rudyard Kipling, Recessional