[Sca-cooks] Fw: [EKCooksGuild] wyne greke

Mon Mar 24 07:11:51 PST 2003

Sherry is a wine fortified with brandy, therefore not historically suitable
for the recipes in Curye On English.  I would suggest an unfortified wine
made from malvasian grapes (Malvasia or Malvoisie).  There are some
relatively inexpensive but good Malvasias grown in California these days.

My reasoning on this is, Malvasian wine is period (it is called for
specifically in Sabina Welser).  It is of Greek origin, but the grapes were
transplanted to Italy in Antiquity and have been further transplanted to
Maderia where the grape is used in making the fortified wine malmsey.  This
meets the glossary definition and the "Greek" aspect of "wyne greke" being
an Italian wine of Greek origins.

Bear