[Sca-cooks] Dayboard aftermath

Kristen Skold kskold at pacbell.net
Mon Mar 31 13:24:37 PST 2003

At 08:38 PM 3/30/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>I suspect part of it might be, that by the very nature of our events, rather
>than having a set crew and a set system whereby we each have our jobs, and
>know how our supplies are stored, everything gets done on the fly, so to
>speak- we HOPE we'll have someone to chop all those onions, but never know
>until we have someone chopping them, etc- that by itself can be pretty
>exhausting.

The uncertainty surely doesn't *help*, but I suspect professionals have
grown accustomed to the hours on one's feet.

Last weekend I helped my parents with a Swedish dinner for about 100 at a
club they belong to. This is the 4th or 5th time they've done this dinner,
so they knew exactly what had to happen when. They knew who was showing up
to help, and we worked off a 8' time table on butcher paper taped to the door.

We took an hour break and went out to lunch, and had another shorter break
in the afternoon. Between arriving and finishing our part of the cleanup,
we were there 13 hours. Everything went smoothly.

And we were all exhausted and stiff. We're just not used to being on our
feet so long. That, and the fact that most of that time was spent standing
still instead of walking around. I slept in the next day, and never did get
anything done - just a little time on the computer, even, and some reading.

Kristen Skold