[Sca-cooks] Beer was OT: Harry Potter

AF Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Wed May 7 09:27:20 PDT 2003

The really interesting thing is the way that marketing has morphed, and
how successful it is!

I have a friend. He's a union stagehand and light guy (out in Jersey,
not Local 1) and plays rock n roll guitar. Firmly believes he's a rebel
and an independent thinker, though he tends to rebel just like all the
other good rebels... *G* He drinks Bud, only. Why? Well, because it's
the beer all the rockers drink! How does he know this? Well, they seem
to have had a successful ad campaign some time ago... His image of it
fits his image of himself. And he's really drinking an image, not a beer...

Now, I drink a certain amount of it myself at home. Why? Because it's
cheap... I only buy it on sale. To me, it's beer's version of vin
ordinaire. I don't drink it out, or with a nice meal, but it's OK with a
plate of rice and beans... but then, I'm not really a beer drinker, and
don't pretend to be.

AEllin/Anne