[Sca-cooks] Lemon Curd Help

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue May 13 06:04:54 PDT 2003

Ok,  Lemon curd is one of those odd things. Laura Mason
in the Traditional Foods of Britain says
that what we now eat as Lemon Curd comes from the tradition
of the 18th century transparent puddings, a la Mrs. Raffald. It was
then established as a commercial product in the later part of the 1800's.
Prior to that in the 1600's there were cheesecakes made with curds and eggs.
C. Anne Wilson in Food and Drink in Britain mentions that lemon
cheesecake was a further development of the curds and then the custard
cheesecakes of the 17th century. By circa 1700, one was seeing
lemon peels, egg yolks, sugar and butter  being combined into
a filling that eventually became lemon curd. I did check John Nott's
Cooks Dictionary of 1726 and didn't find a recipe for it in that.
My best guess is that any recipes combining the ingredients are going
to be 17th century at the earliest and under the name "lemon curd"
may be only 19th century. OED only gives 19th century for it.

I will keep an eye out and let you know if I find anything earlier.

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway

Terry Decker wrote: snipped
Possibly, but I haven't located a specific reference.  Markham (1615) does