[Sca-cooks] Feast stewart at the crossroads

Jonathan and Rebecca Barber barber at runbox.com
Thu May 22 17:32:36 PDT 2003

>> If I commit to providing a feast for X number of people, for Y dollars, on Z
> theme, and the rules get changed- suddenly I'm expected to provide a feast
> for X times 2 people, for Y divided by 2 dollars, on a completely different
> theme, then my original commitment has been voided. Period.

So a question to Selene - Was the original agreement this explicit or was it more along the lines of "Yeah, I'd love to cook 12th night next year."  and not a lot more.

I would still contend that you committed to do the feast and should do it, after an appropriately long conversation with the autocrat about why they made the changes and if they are willing to revisit them.  They might be, or they might have really good reasons for their changes.  But in my mind you committed to doing the feast, the number of people, dollars and theme are all fluid, at least until things are published.

As you said, this is a volunteer organization.  You can certainly never work with that autocrat again, and I suppose if you negotiated to that level you could consider the commitment up for renegotiation.  I wouldn't consider it void, however.

> I feel we have a responsibility to ourselves to value ourselves and our
> time. Volunteering to be a school crossing guard does not mean you
> volunteered to be the target at a turkey shoot.

I would equate it more with volunteering to be a school crossing guard and being assigned to be a school crossing guard on a corner twice as far away and an hour earlier in the morning.  What you volunteered for hasn't changed, just the conditions under which you have to execute it.

Ru