OT: Anceint SCA history Re: [Sca-cooks] Feast stewart at the crossroads

ED Reese edreese at m7bedlam.com
Fri May 23 05:13:34 PDT 2003

--
At 05:02 AM 5/23/2003 -0700, you wrote:

>At 06:43 AM 5/23/03 -0500, you wrote:
> >--
> >The first Amergin's Bardic Fest, in Adiantum -- a while ago.
> >
><snip>
> >Esther
> >
> >(Used to be Etain)
>
>Oh.My.God. I remember you! Geez, that was... 12 years ago? Wow.

Longer, I think. :-)

>  I think you were cratting the first Egils I went to.

I was 24 then, the year before I left An Tir for Caid. (Sorry, feeling old
and creaky....)

>  And doing herald stuff. Wow. I was in Adiantum for several years, going
> to school and then doing the futile search for work.

Hence leaving for Caid....

>  Wow. I think I know who was cratting that Amergin's. :-/

She did a good job autocratting, and is actually a very nice person. We
just didn't mix as a working team -- it happens. :-)

>Some pretty fab cooks in the Summits now.

Oh, heck, there were FAB cooks in the Summits before I left -- I was junior
league, trust me! Marion and Raven (Mistress Raven now, I think), and
oodles more. Of course, Summits _region_ was just coming into being when I
left, so it was Adiantum cooks in my time.

>Still eating off the land when we can but more experince now, both with
>cooking and with period cooking.

Same here.

>Demetrios (wrote THE BOOK on Byzantine food) lives in Adiantum,

Missed him, mores the pity! Has he really written a book? nearly 20 years
ago, the book was a translation of Talliver (?), from the French, published
by the Elf Hill Times.

>there's Marion Staarveld

She was the Doyen when I was there!

>  and Isobel, and Issabetta, and farther south there's Jo
>and in Glyn Dwfn there's Verena and was-Seumas-now-Edouard, and we just
>added Terra Pomeria and Coeur du Val and a shire on teh coast teh name of
>which escapes me...

The more, the merrier! Adiaumtum/Summits has always encouraged the new and
different. Heck, we even had an Aztec when I was there. Got lost in her
canoe....

>Hey, we even cooked and ate one of Marlena's goats for Investiture a couple
>years back. Boy was _that_ a trip!

Oh, man! TOO cool! Marian and Ambrose?

>Wow. Glad to see you're still up to mischief!

Well, creaking back into the game. I tried and tried and tried to get into
the swing of things in Caid, and could never quit manage it. Bless Jared
and Selene, they never stopped encouraging me. :-) I'm in Steppes in
Ansteorra now, in the Canton of Glaslyn. (Closest branch, but still an hour
and a half away. You know, like in An Tir!) I've actually submitted an
application to be the canton herald -- do NOT know what got into me!

I'm trying to place you.... I'm old now, the memory's gone! ;-)

Hugs,
Esther (Etain)
--

---