[Sca-cooks] Feast stewart at the crossroads

ED Reese edreese at m7bedlam.com
Fri May 23 04:03:04 PDT 2003

--
I say you're absolutely right. My first feastocrat experience, back in the
misty past, was hell -- because of the autocrat.

She insisted on buying the food, which was actually a good decision,
because she had great wholesale and organic food contacts. (I lived in
Oregon, then.) I made the menu and the shopping list, submitting a second
when the first did not meet her standards.

Less than 24 hours before pre-prep was to begin, she demanded a menu
change. Foolishly, thinking it was my duty, I changed it.

It went downhill from there. It was a small feast, for 100, just a hot,
filling, period meal rather than a feast, really. But I had a grand total
of two hours help in the pre-prep -- and she brought me food that wasn't on
the menu and demanded I fix it, too. As I'd never seen fennel before, I
asked her how to fix it -- she said "like celery", I said, "it's finger
food?" she said yes. I threw away the edible heads, and spent HOURS fixing
the stems "like celery".

I had specifically asked for the stew meat to be chopped, to save time and
labor. She saved two cents if it was whole. I had to chop, by hand, 40
pounds of stew meat, by myself -- I would have gladly given her the money.
I asked for a jar of minced garlic. She gave me a mud brick, in which
stingy, thin bulbs of garlic were encased.

It was a successful event, and on the day, I couldn't have asked more from
my kitchen help. The autocrat's opinion was that my contribution was "no
big deal".

What is happening to Mistress Selene sounds VERY familiar.

On a funny note, since all the produce was organic, and we were having the
event at an organic "commune" (Oregon, remember?), I had saved all the
veggie trash in clean garbage bags to contribute to their compost pile.  On
the day of the event, a "salad" was demanded. I agreed -- the salad was
made of beautiful chard leaves and red cabbage left overs from the stew
pot, carrot "peelings", celery tops, and the chopped fennel hearts, with a
dressing of the lemon and olive oil marinade we were using for the fish.
(Fresh, not the stuff the fish marinated in!)  The kitchen staff was
cackling in glee at our "garbage salad", but we went through two super
bowls of the stuff. Go figure!

Esther

---