[Sca-cooks] An Evil Thought- Excercise in Intelligence

Jonathan and Rebecca Barber barber at runbox.com
Tue May 27 13:50:41 PDT 2003

> >Two all-meat patties, special sauce, onion, pickle, lettuce, and tomato
> >(vegetable? translator's query), on a sesame seed bun....

I'm going to start from the end and work backwards.

bun is actually short for bugne, which is a kind of pancake.  I believe that in this case it was a subtletie of presentation, and therefore would use cooked sugar and sesame seeds to shape an edible plate that could harden over night and be used to serve the this delightful desert.

Tomato's, as you know, are also known as Love Apples.  As such I would slice some apples and serve them on the side, sprinkled lightly with lemon juice to keep them from turning brown and ruining the look of the dish.

Lettuce can be interpreted in a couple of ways, either it's generic green leafy vegetable meaning or based upon its Latin roots and it's connection to Lactus (milk).   Therefore I choose to consider it part of the ingredients of the "special sauce", specifically made with cream, pickled ginger (in very small quantities else it overwhelm the dish), candied ginger and eggs in the manner of a light custard sauce.

Regarding the Onion, I believe that there is missing text here and that this wonderous dish is actually meant to be served with a garnish of flowers such as those from the onion plant and others of its genus.  Onions being a member of the lily family, I will have ample from which to choose.

Finally, I would take nut-meats and grind them to a variable consistency, using brandy and molasses as binding agents, to form them into two small flat shapes.  I would season the mixture with  a touch of nutmeg and baked to set them.

To serve, set the nut-meat patties on the sesame seed pancake, drizzle lightly with the special sauce and than place the prettiest of the onion flowers on the side as a garnish.

Ru
(that was kinda fun!)