[Sca-cooks] Portuguese cookbook online

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sat May 31 10:18:44 PDT 2003

Brighid ni Chiarain wrote:

>  > You're very welcome.  Now, how soon can we expect to see the translation
>  > posted?  :-)

and Faerisa responded:

>Here's a start:

>Galinha mourisca
>Tome uma galinha crua e faça-a em pedaços.  Em seguida prepara-se um
>refogado com
>duas colheres de manteiga e uma pequena fatia de toucinho. Deita-se
>dentro a galinha
>e deixa-a corar. Cubra-se a galinha com água suficiente para
>cozê-la, pois não se há
>de deitar-lhe outra. Estando a galinha quase cozida, tome-se cebola
>verde, salsa,
>coentro e hortelã, pica-se tudo bem miudinho e deita-se na panela,
>com um pouco de
>caldo de limão. Acabe de cozinhar a galinha muito bem.  Tome então
>fatias de pão e
>disponha-as no fundo de uma terrina, e derrame sobre elas a
>galinha.Cubra com gemas
>escalfadas e polvilhe com canela.
>
>Moorish Chicken
>Take a raw chicken and cut it into pieces.  Then prepare a saute
>with 2 spoonfuls
>ofbutter and a small slice of porkbelly.  Add the chicken and let
>brown.  Cover the
>chicken with enough water  to cook it, for you will not add more
>during the cooking.
>When the chicken is almost cooked, take green onion, parsely,
>cilantro and mint.
>Mince them all well and add to the pot, with a little lemon juice.
>Allow to keep
>cooking until well done.  then take slices of bread and line the
>bottom of a clay pot
>with them and pour the chicken over them.  Cover with coddled yolks
>and sprinkle with
>with cinnamon.

>Faerisa, who will be translating more as she has time
>Now, who has time to redact?

We tried the Moorish chicken from the earlier translation (recipe is
in the Miscellany) and it is quite good--although the toucinho (you
have it as pork belly, the earlier translator had it as bacon) amused
us, since pork emphatically would not be in a real Moorish dish.

The seasonings, especially the cilantro, in this and other dishes
from this source, did remind us of the 13th c. Andalusian cookbook.

I see that you are translating "manteiga" as butter. Brighid, in her
Spanish translation, discussed when the similar word in Spanish
should be butter and when lard. Is it unambiguous in Portuguese?

Elizabeth/Betty Cook