[Sca-cooks] Portuguese cookbook online

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sat May 31 20:00:29 PDT 2003

[ Converted text/enriched to text/plain ]
On 31 May 2003, at 10:18, Betty Cook wrote:

> We tried the Moorish chicken from the earlier translation (recipe is
> in the Miscellany) and it is quite good--although the toucinho (you
> have it as pork belly, the earlier translator had it as bacon) amused
> us, since pork emphatically would not be in a real Moorish dish.

I have a small collection of community cookbooks. One of them has a recipe for
"Jewish Cornbread" which contains sour cream, creamed corn -- and bacon fat.

> I see that you are translating "manteiga" as butter. Brighid, in her
> Spanish translation, discussed when the similar word in Spanish
> should be butter and when lard. Is it unambiguous in Portuguese?

I wondered about that when I was glancing through the recipes. Since I've
never studied the Portuguese language or cuisine, I didn't want to jump to
conclusions. In doing a word search through the document, I found several
recipes that called for "banha" (the modern word for lard) or "banha de
porco". In the recipe for "Almojávenas de D. Isabel de Vilhena", it says to
use "manteiga ou banha" (manteiga OR banha). I would guess that the modern meanings
apply for these two words.

Faerisa, what say you?

Brighid ni Chiarain *** mka Robin Carroll-Mann Barony of Settmour Swamp, East
Kingdom rcmann4 at earthlink.net