[Sca-cooks] Pre-Columbian Foods

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Sat Nov 1 22:18:01 PST 2003

>Here is that menu for New World dishes.  Keep in mind the lady that posted
>this isn't on this list, so be nice, and send any questions directly to her
>(address at the bottom).
>Christianna

This is an very interesting topic. This is what I was able to find:

Chicken is old world.
There are new world pigs, but they were not domesticated.
Dogs, turkeys and ducks were the only animals raised for food in the Americas
Sweet cherries are old world, new world cherries are small and tart.
Likewise new world grapes, plums, and apples are small and tart or bitter.
Large strawberries are new world.
Most citrus is old world, but key limes are new world.
Frying and all sorts of oil were unknown in Pre-Columbian America
Coconut is old world but spread to the new world before Columbus.
Milk was seldom if ever used, and custard is an old world recipe.
Tapioca is new world, but would not be cooked as a custard with milk,
but as gruel or bread.
Alegria is an amaranth candy.  The amaranth is new world, but I doubt
it would be made into candy.  I have not found any references to
sugar used before Columbus, except for maple syrup.
Honeybees are old world.

Old world foods include beef, sheep, goat, chicken, milk, cheese,
butter, wheat, barley, grapes, citrus, olives, honey, sugar, garlic,
onions, cilantro/coriander, cumin, ginger, radish, sesame, basil,
banana, coffee, lettuce, cabbage, cucumber, cinnamon, sugar cane,
mango, melons, dates, mustard, spinach, carrot, turnip, peas, okra,
tamarind

New World foods include bison, dog, iguana, wild pig, turkey, moscovy
duck, rabbit, fish, shrimp, shellfish, eggs of duck and other birds,
frogs, corn, beans, lima beans, zucchini, pumpkin and squash, potato,
sweet potato, peanuts, tomatoes, tomatillos,  ground cherry (a
relative of tomatillo, not a cherry), cacao (chocolate), vanilla,
chilies, peppers, pineapple, sunflowers, jerusalem artichokes,
strawberries, blueberries, cranberry, raspberry, blackberry, black
raspberry, custard apple, papaya, guava, avocado, cashew, currant,
gooseberry coconut, arrowroot, chayote, star fruit, brazil nuts,
black walnuts, pecan, hazelnut, wild rice, allspice, crabapples, key
lime

http://www-ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katzer/engl/generic_frame.html is a
good source for info on spices and herbs.

Ranvaig