[Sca-cooks] Pre-Columbian Foods

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Nov 2 07:13:28 PST 2003

Key Limes as I understand them from my readings on citrus fruits
(I did read about things other than oranges.) are representative of the
limes that developed in the New World after the Conquest. The Spanish
took citrus trees with them on the early voyages and they rapidly took
off in the islands and Central America in the later part of the 16th
century.

Other works that might prove helpful to the topic at hand are:

Todorov, Tzetan. The Conquest of America. 1982, 1984.
Rozin, Elisabeth. Blue Corn and Chocolate. 1992.
Super, John C. Food, Conquest, and Colonization in Sixteenth-Century
Spanish America. 1988.
Hays, Wilma and R. Vernon. Foods the Indians Gave Us. 1973.
Weatherfors, Jack. Indian Givers. 1988.
Kavasc, Barrie. Native Harvests. 1979.
Sokolov, Raymond. Why We Eat What We Eat. How the encounter between the
New World and the Old chnaged the way everyone on the planet eats. 1991.

There are dozens more including a number of modern cookbooks that
feature Native American foods.

See also--
http://www.mnh.si.edu/garden/welcome.html
http://www.mnh.si.edu/garden/emeritus.html
http://www.mnh.si.edu/garden/history/welcome.html
feature details about the Smithsonian's Celebration of the Columbian
Exchange in the early 1990's. The bibliography is at:
http://www.mnh.si.edu/garden/bibliography.html

Hope this helps.

Johnnae llyn Lewis