Christianity in SCA cookery. was Re: [Sca-cooks] pre-Columbian foods

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 5 08:47:42 PST 2003

margali wrote:

> lol, I know quite a few good christians=)

In my experience, the ones who actually live by the Bible are pretty
excellent folks.  The ones who use their religion as a political
brickbat are something else again.

> One publically jokes with me, he promises not to burn me at the stake
> if i promise not to throw him to the lions=) I love a catholic priest
> with a good sense of humor=) [in the SCA we both play roman era
> personas...he  an early christian hermit headed to a new hermitage ...
> who seems to have gotten lost and is wandering around IRL he is a
> jesuit and teaches history at the 6th grade level. Great guy, trying
> to turn him onto the miles books, but i gave him CoC and PoS for
> christmas=)]

A Jesuit, eh?  Wooo, those books are going to rock his world!  Maybe you
should include a Quintarian pilgrimage ribbon of five colors as a
"bookmark."

OK, steering this all back on topic:  what about Christian dietary laws
and why don't we ever seem to bother with them in the SCA?  I keep
trying to serve fish during Lent and all I get are complaints.  O
Tempura, O Morays! <grin, duck, run really fast!>

Selene Colfox