[Sca-cooks] Fish at feasts

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 5 15:50:08 PST 2003

I grew up in the 1950s and 60s not eating fish, other than canned
salmon in croquettes and canned tuna. My mother said she didn't like
fish because it tasted fishy. We did eat crab, shrimp, and real
jen-yew-wine Maine lobster. We didn't eat any shellfish except
scallops and them only rarely.

I was a vegetarian for a while in the late 60s and early 70s. After i
started eating animal flesh again, i rarely ate red meat, but added
fish to my repertoire. I would often cook fish when visiting my
parents and my mother would inhale what i was cooking, all the while
protesting how much she disliked fish.

It's two things, in my opinion - (1) the quality/freshness of the
fish (fresh is much better than frozen), and (2), how it is cooked.

I was appalled once when dining at a very fancy Chicago restaurant
when my paternal grandmother sent her white fleshed fish back to the
kitchen because it wasn't brown...

Anyway, i have served fish twice in my 3 years of feast cooking. I
always make sure the fish is not over cooked.

Once was salmon, which diners here will inhale - it's been served
several times in my short time in the SCA. I did the de Nola
casserole with bitter orange juice, raisins, nuts, and herbs. The
salmon was donated by someone whose father caught it in Alaska and
had it flash frozen on shipboard.

The other was fresh tuna i served in the Greco-Roman feast i did in
September. It wasn't cheap - it was local tuna that i got for about
$7/lb. I only bought a couple ounces per person. It was served as an
appetizer with date sauce and most of it was eaten. It was definitely
a big expense, but, well...

I'd love to try a Lenten feast some day, but i think it would be a
hard sell even here in The West where people are willing to eat fish.

Anahita