[Sca-cooks] sauce verification (fwd)

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Nov 7 08:49:44 PST 2003

http://home.howstuffworks.com/question617.htm
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/shows_ssl/episode/0,1806,HGTV_3889_9905,00.html
where it says
Emulsion sauces are basically two liquids that don't naturally blend
with each other, such as vinegar and oil. Hollandaise, bearnaise, beurre
blanc, even classic mayonnaise and vinaigrettes are all emulsion sauces.

This is for most practical purposes part of the style that comes into
play after 1600. Think La Varenne. Wheaton notes that he offers a sauce
that is close to a hollandaise.

I would recommend the run down given in On Food and Cooking by McGee or
see also James Peterson's Sauces. Shirley Corriher is another source.
She's featured in the hgtv spot above.

Johnnae llyn Lewis