[Sca-cooks] Questions about de Nola

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 17 19:20:26 PST 2003

I can tell you from personal experience with actual Seville orange
juice, that it tastes like a mix of orange, lemon, AND grapefruit. It
is bitter - which the grapefruit adds, as well as sour - which the
lemon adds - and orangey.

I was making that famous de Nola salmon recipe and I happened to have
fresh orange, fresh lemon, and fresh grapefruit handy, in case there
wasn't enough Seville orange juice, so i did the experiment of
tasting the Seville orange juice and then blending the other juices
to approximate the flavor.

In fact, lemon juice did not add enough sour - the Seville orange
juice was pretty harsh - so lemon and orange alone do not replicate
the flavor. The blend needs grapefruit for that necessary touch of
bitter. What proportions? Well, i don't remember - it was more than a
year ago - but i'd say start with equal quantities of each of the
three.

Anahita