[Sca-cooks] Questions about de Nola

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Nov 17 20:44:28 PST 2003

  Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon replied to me with:
> At 11:22 PM 11/16/2003 -0600, Stefan wrote:
> >Yes, why wool? Linen would be the other cheap cloth and that wouldn't
> >stain as easily. I don't expect that this straining cloth was a
> use-once
> >and throw away item. Wool can be spun much finer though than how most
> wool
> >is spun today. Is wool stronger? Than linen?
>
> Could it be preferred because it's better for fire safety in the
> kitchen?
Hmm. I know that natural fabrics are preferred over synthetics around
fires (from personal experience, even) but I've never heard if there is
much difference in flammability between cotton, linen and wool. Anyone?
> Maybe it's just more versatile, useful as both straining cloth and pot
> holder.
Yes, that would point to cloth over a specific product, but I don't
think that helps differentiates between the two fabric types. Didn't we
discuss "pot holders" previously and either no evidence was found or
folks were shown using clothing sleeves or skirts?
Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com