[Sca-cooks] When was...

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Nov 19 09:20:30 PST 2003

Actually no---

That's incorrect. I presume that you are using or referring to the
Maggie Black foreword. She's off more than a decade in this case as to
when the book was first available. This is one of my favorite examples
to use when talking about why STC or ESTC records are essential when
doing bibliographic work with 16th century printed texts.

This is one of those odd books where we have a surviving second part
that dates prior to any surviving first part. We have to presume that
there really was a GHJ prior to there being a Second Part of the GHJ.

In any case the book by Dawson dates from 1584 according to the
Stationers' Register. The earliest surviving GHJ is from 1587. The
Second Part of the GHJ dates from 1585. The work is most often cited as
being 1596 and 1597 because Oxford has allowed their copy from those
years to be reproduced and filmed. It's by no means the earliest.

Johnnae llyn Lewis

Barbara Benson wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I just so happen to have a copy sitting right here, it is even on the top of
> the pile.
>
> Fron the Introduction:
> "Thomas Dawson wrote or, possibly, complied the cookery book now in front of
> me in 1596 and 1597 when English society stood on the threshold of a new
> era."
>
> So, there you have it. You are at the mercy of the list for the seck.....
> vinegar water.
>
> Glad Tidings
> Serena da Riva
>

>>When was Thomas Dawson:  The Good Huswifes Jewell written?  And when was
>>written the recipe for sukunjabin(sp)?  I'm bring period goodies to the
>>office party and thought I'd put notes with them.  And, yes, yes of
> course, I am bringing marzipan.
THLady Olwen the Odd