[Sca-cooks] cooking holiday choke that Muse!

Kathleen A. Roberts karobert at unm.edu
Tue Nov 25 07:23:18 PST 2003

--On Monday, November 24, 2003 10:14 PM -0500 Kirsten Houseknecht
<kirsten at fabricdragon.com> wrote:

 then we make the gravy.....
> we will be trying the "thicken thin not starch" from atkins instead of
> flour.

gee... when i was growing up, gravy for us was always just the degreased
pan drippings... no  flour, butter, cornstarch... nada, zip, zilch...

> first Atkins Thanksgiving for us... (plus the whole reason we went on
> Atkins was hubby got diagnosed diabetic)

not that hard... tho we do not adhere to atkins on holidays.   both of us
grew up with food at holidays being a major ritual.   we pick and choose.
he can have dessert or those d*&n sweet potatoes with marshmallow.  (full
body shudder).

made some homemade mincemeat without any citron or sugar.  just meat,
raisins, apples, figs, red wine, grated orange/lemon peel and spices.
amazing how sweet it got without any sugar or honey or such.

cailte
''Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy which
sustained him through temporary periods of joy.''
                                                        W.B. Yeats
Kathleen Roberts
Administrative Asst. II
UNM Freshman Admissions