[Sca-cooks] cooking holiday choke that Muse!

margali mtraber251 at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 25 07:26:49 PST 2003

oh=) GOT to tell you about a new product at naturesflavors.com...

A few years ago, they sold a liquid splenda, then were forced to take it
off the market as they ran into FDA problems with selling a straight
sweetener. The only other source of liquid splenda - synergy.com was
forced to stop importing the brazillian liquid splenda for labeling
reasons.  Thus totally kiling any chance of sweetening with absolutely
no cabs at all.

Well, natures flavors now makes low carb vanilla sweet base. it isnt the
vanilla syrup [that you sweeten coffee with, with 1 half oz being the
serving size] this is the original sweetness level of the original 3
drops = 1 tsp, 1 and an half tsp = 1 cup .... and the vanilla flavoring
is not quite as strong as alcohol based vanilla extract. It is perfect
for cheesecake, pumpkin pie, apple pie...all sorts of baked goods where
a tiny amount of vanilla is not going to matter.

I traitionally make 3 pies, traditional apple, traditional pumpkin and
an applesauce custard [like pumpkin just with applesauce instead of
pumpkin solids.] if you make it with homemade unsweetened applesauce, or
a commercial unsweetened applesauce, it isnt bad. Although I adore a
basic baked custard pie, daryoles/cheesecake pie is good with splenda
though there is too much overall other carbs to make a good amygdilopita
[ground almond/semolina pie] [two of my other favorite holiday goodies]