Cheese, warm or cold (was: [Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 6, Issue 61)

Alex Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Wed Nov 26 10:33:03 PST 2003

At 11:32 AM 11/26/2003 -0500, Magdalena wrote:
>Here's one that I really don't like:  Cheese.  I try really really hard to
>like cheese.  I honestly do.  I found that I do like goat cheese.
>But, 99% of cheese tastes like mold to me.  Seriously, earthy moldy.
>It's not bad when it's melted - cheeses that I can't stand cold are just
>fine on pizza or nachos.  But, I can't figure out what people find
>appealing about eating chunks of cold cheese.

You're certainly not the only one who dislikes cold cheese. According to
_Professional Cooking_ by Wayne Gisslen (John Wiley & Sons, 1999), nobody
is expected to like it:

"*Serve* *cheese* *at* *room* *temperature*. This is the single most
important rule of cheese service. Only at room temperature will the full
flavors develop. (This does not apply to unripened cheese like cottage cheese.)
         Cut cheese just before service, to prevent drying. Better yet, set
out whole cheese and large pieces when possible, so that portions can be
cut to order by the customer or the service personnel." (p. 605)

Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon