[Sca-cooks] Dieting

Avraham haRofeh of Sudentur goldbergr1 at cox.net
Fri Nov 28 10:41:13 PST 2003

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 09:46:58 -0500, ranvaig at columbus.rr.com wrote:
>> On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 21:23:49 -0500, ranvaig at columbus.rr.com wrote:
>>> I watch my diet, even at holidays, but don't follow Atkins.
>>> I don't see the point of avoiding a low calorie food like
>>> potatoes.
>>> To me, Thanksgiving has always been about the vegetables.
>>> And the cranberries. *S*
>
> Avraham said
>> For the record... potatoes are not a "low calorie food" any more
>> than any
>> other starchy vegetable - they still have 4 calories per gram of
>> carbohydrate.
>
> A plain baked potato has 100 calories... that is a VERY low calorie
> food and it is misinformation to say otherwise.  I did NOT say it
> was
> a low carbohydrate food.

The same 100 calories, more or less, as any other single serving of a
starchy vegetable. For the record, the USDA reports that a 1 cup serving
(about 150 grams) of plain potato flesh is 118 calories, the same amount of
cooked yellow corn is 176 calories, the same amount of peas are 116
calories. That does NOT constitute a low-calorie food by FDA definitions
(less than 40 cal per serving/reference amount). Please do not accuse me of
spreading "misinformation" without checking your own facts.

Avraham haRofeh of Sudentur
     (mka Randy Goldberg MD)
Random Tag: Whatever you find when you first encounter the SCA is something you percieve as having always existed, even it was invented a
couple days before. - Yosef Alaric, "Silverwing's Laws"