[Sca-cooks] Dieting

margali mtraber251 at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 30 17:48:15 PST 2003

=) it helps to all be on the same page.

I used to work in the food service industry, as did others here=) and
sometimes we an make assumptions about exactly what other people know
that are not correct=)

I learned about nutritional breakdown, and roughly how they determined
things - but not everyboy stops to think about what goes into your
foods=) and i have always found it to help when redacting
recipes....also the science of what happens when you process foodstuffs.

If you know that you need a food to have a particular texture [like the
recipe mentions forcing it through a seive] then you know one of several
things, whether you may have to cook it, or process it in a specific
way, or that there may be steps they didnt mention because they assume
everybody knows how to cook that particular dish [cuskys, anybody?] and
if you understand the physical properties of a substance, like proteins
reaction to being heated [cheesemaking, makes the whey separate from the
curds more completely, or egg whites solidifying to trap floaty bits to
clarify soups] or to being frozen [tofu, the water beads to the surface,
changing the texture when it is thawed] so you can make a guess as to
how something needs to be processed to  get the recipe to work.

Same thing with determining what you need to eat to stay on diet -
though now instead of the humors [bile, phlegm, sanguine and [?] cant
remember the 4th offand=)] we have proteins, carbs lipids and
vitamins/minerals that we try to balance.

margali