[Sca-cooks] Re: Oak leave wine

Marcus Loidolt mjloidolt at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 7 06:01:02 PDT 2003

Greetings, Priscilla, or anyone on the list, ever
heard of this recipe? I hadn't, but Master Charles
Oakley provided this one, might be interesting to try
on a good brave spring day!!??

Abot Johann

--- c.oakley at att.net wrote:
> Hey Johann...
>
> Actally the wine recipe came from a real life
> printed book from our library
> over in Peoria!  I don't remember the book but it
> was a rather small one.
>
> The recipe basically went:
>
> In the spring of the year pick oak leaves when they
> are about the size of the
> palm of your hand.  Put them into a large container
> and pour boiling water
> over them (I boiled about two gallons even though I
> was making a one gallon
> batch)...  the boiling water breaks down the cell
> structure of the leaves and
> releases the clorophil, etc.  Let the whole mess sit
> until the water cools...
>
> Add sugars (I think I used about 5 cups) and mix
> thoroughly...  let the whole
> mess sit covered for about two or three days...
> sturing often...
>
> Strain the liquour off of the leaves and put into
> the jug with an airlock on
> it and let it do its fermenting thing...
>
> Its a pretty simple process... and... ummm...
> washing the leaves in cold
> water prior to hitting them with the boiling water
> would probably be a good
> idea... but...as I recall I don't think I did...
> gives the whole disaster a
> more 'period feel'... ;-)
>
> Chas.

=====
www.geocities.com/mjloidolt/marcus_page.html
"Let Charity be your hallmark and model for all you do,
if it is not loving, don't do it, it it is loving,
let nothing stop you from doing whatever is needed!"
(St. John Neumann)
"Have no fear or doubt anything and everything you give in this life will be paid back ahundred fold in the next"