[Sca-cooks] Re: fresh cheese

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 10 06:25:44 PDT 2003

     Huh!  I redacted Sabina Welserin's
> "Genovese Tart" recipe last 12th Night -- a savory
tart with  spinach, "fresh cheese" (I used ricotta),
aged cheese (I used parmesan), and olive oil in a
> pastry crust.  <snip>

I looked into the fresh cheese/ricotta issue a while
ago, and pulled quite a few resources from several
Italian manuscripts.
You can see the articles at:
http://www.geocities.com/helewyse/cheesenature.html
There are also a number of recipes for pasta stuffings
calling for fresh cheese at
http://www.geocities.com/helewyse/stuffedpasta.html
In Italy sometimes ricotta is specifically called for
in a recipe, othertimes "fat cheese" or "fresh cheese"
is called for.  From my reading of the articles this
seems to be fresh mozzarella or a farmers type cheese,
rather than ricotta.
Just my 2 cents.
Helewyse